Friday, June 8, 2012

Front Porch Kit Spotlight

Hi everyone! Today all the designers will be spotlighting one of their recent projects from the Sew Artsy kit from Front Porch Kits. For my spotlight, I chose Hattie Hoop :) I was not quite sure what I would do with her when I received it in the mail. Of course, embroidery popped in my head, but I wanted something bigger. The chipboard dress form caught my eye, and I started to brainstorm. The vintage pattern in the kit really got me thinking. So here is what I did. First, I took the grey material and pulled it tight through the hoop. Next, I took and hot glued the green fabric in a ruffle pattern around the edge. I also added the black and white fabric on top of it for a contrast. The fun part for me was taking the vintage pattern and cutting thin strips, spritzing it with Shimmerz and making a ton of rosettes. I added the rosettes to the edge of the hoop. Next came the dress form. I cut off the long neck to form a v neck. I covered it with the black and white material and added the blue trim. At the bottom, I just added layer upon layer of the rosettes. I love the way it turned out. But, it was not complete. I created a template for the vintage style hat. I covered it with the material, the trim, added some white lace, a rosette, and a feather. Finally I found a sentiment that I thought was fitting for this, because this is to be a gift for a friend. I debated on whether I wanted to leave it as it was or if I wanted to actually create a wall hanging. I opted for the wall hanging. I used some off white satin ribbon, and added one last rosette as the final touch. There are only a few of these kits left, so go snag yours up today :) We are taking off for the weekend to go visit Dinosaur Valley State Park and walk where the dinosaurs did. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

2 comments:

Tracy :) said...

The hat is "sew" cute! Thanks for sharing!

Jojorenee said...

Very cool!